News, but also personal: Jeff Geerling's voice was cloned/stolen

Tech News Summary





Jeff Geerling posted a video showing Elecrow's two whole YouTube series using Jeff's voice without Jeff's permission.





 





As TelepathicPug put it in Ex-Twitter, "You're like the Scarlett Johanson of ESP tutorials now." (link)





 





Quotes




Quote






Does the voice in the clip at the beginning of this video sound familiar to you? ... And I'm not even sure non-consensual voice cloning is against YouTube's Terms of Service.





 





You should hire a voiceover artist, or pay a content creator to work with you. A lot of brands actually do that! Just... don't steal my voice and use it to promote your product.







 





My thoughts





This is deeply personal to me. I watch almost all his videos and they help me a lot. Jeff Geerling publicly said he'd like to avoid lawyering up, and that he doesn't have a lot of funds. I've donated to his Patreon, and I suspect my donation amount won't cover 30 seconds of lawyer fees. Being a well-known creator isn't going get easier from here on out, only harder. @LinusTech is another creator I could see somebody cloning (hint - I posted some cloned audio of you, Linus, here in the forums to say "it's obvious, it's not real..." but... ouch, today AI became a personal issue for me)





 





Sources






https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2024/they-stole-my-voice-ai />





https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=41614490 />










 

Post a Comment

0 Comments